aeontimeline

Open full view…

Formatting for csv import

eagletrl57
Mon, 26 Sep 2016 19:31:24 GMT

I have not been able to find the correct formatting for a file to import to TimeLine. I have tried both EditPad Pro and Notepad. In EditPad Pro, when I read in a file that was exported from TimeLine, is shows as Windows1252. If I change it to UTF8, TimeLine will not read in the same file. I have created another csv file from Excel, set it to convert to UTF8, and that does not work either. I attempted to take the original export file and add in the new project data and that will also not import to TimeLine. Can you provide any hints to get the formatting correct?

daviddilaura
Mon, 26 Sep 2016 23:09:32 GMT

May I offer some things I've learned about importing from csv file? 1. My principle data store and manipulation mechanism is an MS Excel file. 2. Though satisfactory in most regards (data input, manipulation, etc.) there are at least two problems with Excel: a. It is lousy at producing csv files b. It does not properly output proper UTF8 encoding for many special characters — only some. It seems that any character with a very high Unicode code point value gets scrambled. 3. So . . . I simple save the file in native Excel format. That is, I do nothing special — just save my working Excel file. 4. Upload the Excel file to my Google Gdrive 5. Open the file with Google Sheets and then download it as a CSV file. It's ALWAYS correct, regardless of the (special) character content. 6. That CSV file can be opened with Notepad++ (excellent freeware!) if it is necessary to manipulate it further. In my case it is, since: 7. The 1st row in my spreadsheet is the labeling/header for all the columns and it is convenient/necessary to force a new line (Alt-Return) in the descriptions wit hin the cells in this row (only). 8. This produces inappropriate multiple rows at the top of the CSV file. 9 NotePad++ has powerful editing features, including several ‘line’ edit functions, one of which is ‘join’. Sweeping down all the initially ‘broken rows’ (because of the Alt-Return in the fist row of the spreadsheet) at the top of the CSV and joining them is a simple operation and eliminates the opportunities for errors when trying to do it by hand. This process has the added benefit of having the latest version of my spreadsheet backed-up on my Gdrive. Notepad++ can verify if any non-UTF8 encoding is present and convert it if necessary — though I've never seen Google Sheets do that.

aeonjess
Mon, 26 Sep 2016 23:46:09 GMT

Hi, If you haven't looked through it already, our support page at: http://www.aeontimeline.com/support/importing/ discusses the correct format for importing/exporting csv files. As suggested above Notepad++ is a good tool to use to convert to UTF8 format. If you export a timeline and then use this program to convert it to UTF8, the application should then be able to import the same timeline. When importing check that you are picking the right delimiters (commas or tabs) for your file. Let us know if you are still having problems Jess

eagletrl57
Sat, 22 Oct 2016 16:43:56 GMT

Thanks for the recommendations. It turns out Excel CSV export was the problem - which I kind of figured. I use EditPad Pro for text editor and it seems to do a good job on the UTF8 formatting.