How Aeon Timeline aids your creative thinking
Aeon Timeline started as a discussion between a group of writers, and since then, the application has continued to grow and expand to suit their needs. Whether you are in the opening stages of planning a novel, in the final stages of editing, or anywhere in between, Aeon Timeline has tools and features to help you understand your characters, avoid plot holes and inconsistencies, and visualise your story in new ways.
Many traditional timeline applications are written to suit a single need: to create an attractive display of one- dimensional time. They are presentational, static, and perfectly suited to overhead slides and projectors. Aeon Timeline aims to be different. We know that you will be changing your mind constantly, so we make editing your content intuitive and straightforward.
With Aeon Timeline, you can:
- Model not only the events of your story, but the backstory of each of your characters
- Capture relationships between events and your characters, locations, and story arcs
- Visually group events by character, location, or arc (some events may appear in multiple groups), and change this selection at any time
- Automatically calculate character ages for every event, allowing you to see how key moments would have affected and shaped your character
- Look for plot-holes or inconsistencies in your story, where a character is expected to be in two places at once
- Drag documents from your Scrivener project into your timeline, or events from your timeline into Scrivener, and keep the two in sync so that your timeline is always up-to-date with your writing.
- Create your own custom fantasy calendar if your story takes place off-world.
- Use nested events so that you can zoom in for a detailed view of individual scenes, or zoom out for a contextual overview of your entire story — or further still for a contextual view of your entire world history.
- Add your own images, external links, notes and research to your events
- Filter events by almost anything, so that you can narrow your focus when trying to resolve specific plot points
- Add bookmarks within your story and backstory so that you can easily jump between key moments in time.
Aeon Timeline lets you synchronise your timeline with your Scrivener project.
Track relationships between characters and events, and calculate character ages.